Saturday, March 9, 2013

Back in Hong Kong


             I’ve been back in Hong Kong since Thursday night. Grace and her parents are joining me tonight. They spent the past few nights in Manila down in Makati, looking through the Ayala Museum and checking out the Salcedo Market.
one of the musicians I'm writing about stopped in Hong Kong in 1928
            I’m staying in the same inexpensive guesthouse in Causeway Bay that we stayed in last time we were here. It’s amazing how even though it takes three trains to get to Hong Kong Baptist University, where I’ve been doing research, it’s still an incredibly easy commute. It’s also interesting how, even though it’s in the mid 60s to low 70s, people are wearing coats and scarves here. Compared to Manila, it really does feel like winter weather.
            I’ve been having some very productive days at the HKBU library looking through microfilm. I’d been able to access sources from all of the other cities on the circuit I’m writing about except for Hong Kong, so I’m glad to use this opportunity to fill in this gap. I’ve already put in several long days at the library in order to get as much research done as possible before Grace and her parents arrive. Hopefully I’ll finish enough to be able to spend some days exploring with them over the next week.
view after exiting train to HKBU campus

No comments:

Post a Comment